Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Three Island Tour

Oddly enough, we actually had breakfast at another hotel’s buffet. Meeting at the lobby at 8:20, we walked across the street to get food. I’m not 100% sure that the breakfast we ate wasn’t the leftovers from the buffet dinner the night before. None of the trays were full, and none of them were warm either. Initially I took a few boatz rolls, but the vegetables inside were nasty. The fried noodles wound up being the safest bet, but they were also cold—but oddly filling.

We took our bus to catch a ferry around the islands. It was raining really, really hard and difficult to see out the windows of the bus. When we got to the pier, our guide went to get tickets for the boat. I’m not exactly sure when she showed up. Everyone swore she was on the bus with us last night, and Sabrina’s emails had said that Emma would join us along with a private guide, but I don’t remember seeing her.
We needed our passports to get on the boat. Once on the lower deck was free, but the upper deck cost 30RMB per person for a private room. We went up to look at the rooms and found one that was large and spacious with big comfy couches and a panoramic window looking out. We decided it we liked it and Emma negotiated a lower rate for us (20RMB/person…about $2.50USD.)

As the boat pulled away from the dock, the rain subsided enough for us to go out and take pictures on the deck. We worked our way around the sides taking in the scenery before ending up on the bow of the boat.
“I want to go ask the captain to take a photo with me,” Alex said.

“Just say, ‘Keyi hezhao ma?’” I said.
Emma looked at me with surprise. “How do you know to say this?”

“I’ve been taking pronunciation lessons at work,” I said. “They’ve taught me a few phrases.”
“Oh,” she said.

“Was it not right?” I asked. “Were my tones wrong? I have trouble with the second tone.”
“No, is right,” she said. “I think you have the best pronunciation of any intern I’ve worked with.”

I smiled. I still don’t feel like I know much vocabulary, but it’s nice to know that I’m saying I can say correctly.
The islands didn’t exactly look like a paradise with the rain, but the mist was kind of cool. As the peaks jumped out of the water and rose up to the clouds, it kind of looked like we were approaching Neverland or some mystical island. Maybe I would have been more impressed if I hadn’t seen the mist covered peaks of Huangshan the week before. Honestly, Huangshan was cooler and prettier than this.

Some of the islands had narrow little rivers that ran through jungle-like forest. The water was practically turquois and these views were pretty cool. That is until the rain picked up again and we rushed back to our private room to dry off.
During the course of our tour, we stopped on three islands. The first was nothing special. Once again—just like Huangshan—there was a trail up through the jungle that was made of stone steps. It wasn’t nearly as steep as Huangshan nor was the scenery as pretty. There were some cherry blossoms with red ribbons tied to them. Jin Yi explained that the ribbons are wishes that people tie to the tree. That was cool, but the fake cherry blossoms kind of ruined the effect.

The view from the top was nice, and I’m sure if the sun had been out and we’d had a blue sky it would have been awesome. You could make out all the little islands that dotted the lake, but you couldn’t see any of them clearly.
As we were hiking along, my skin started to itch. Elaina told me she thought it was probably from the humidity and the rain. When we got back to the boat I looked down to see that my legs were covered in bug bites. I had 14 on my left leg and 12 on my right.

Well, I thought. I’m definitely going to have malaria. I haven’t taken any of the malaria meds because they really upset my stomach. With all of the odd food I’ve eaten, I feel like I want to give my digestive tract a fighting chance. I have been using bug spray but apparently I forgot it today.
And the statistics on Malaria in China are…interesting.

Statistically speaking, the disease has been practically irradiated. According to the CDC, the occurrence rate of malaria in China is approximately 0.7%. Not to clarify, if 0.7% of the population does have malaria, that is approximately 7,000,000 people. Statistically speaking…I feel really stupid for not taking those pills.
The second island was just a pit stop for lunch. They did explain to us that this island was famous for it’s “lady boy” act (I didn’t understand the Chinese name for it, but they explained that “lady boy” was the literal translation.) The “lady boys” –which is a cultural phenomenon out of Thailand is—a group that many young boys join (some willingly although most not) where they are thought to act like girls. When they reach a certain age, they are sent to Europe to have gender re-assignment surgery, and then they return they work in various troupes putting on different shows.

We did not go to a “lady boy” show but we did go get lunch at a buffet that was equally as disappointing as the one we ate at for breakfast. Luckily, there was rice which is very filling. The most notable feature of this restaurant however was the large patches of black mold growing on the ceiling.
“Emma,” Charlotte asked, “is there anything to drink?”

“Yes,” she said. “Over there they have soup.”
We all looked each other and stifled a giggle.

Back on the boat, we spread out in our private room and each slowly dozed off. Even though the boat was moving along at a pretty good clip, the weather was bad enough to turn up some good waves. The slow rocking of the ship was relaxing and I got a great little 20 minute power nap in before we made it to the last island.
This island was actually really cool. When it was a mountain, a famous philosopher and teacher had lived here. When he left, the residents built a temple in his honor. It was very ornate and decorative with a huge archway entrance, wood carvings depicting the teacher’s life, and giant gold statue in a back room (which I thought looked something like the Lincoln Memorial in DC.)

Hiking down the island, there was a little market selling moon cakes. We tried free samples and Swiss Charlotte and I decided to buy a box of them. They are like pastries with a very thick jelly filling. It’s not like the jelly you put on a PB&J, but more like mushed up dried fruit. It was really sweet and really good.
We went back to the main island and docked. After walking briefly through a street market—which sold all the usual knickknacks—we got back on our bus and took it to the hotel for a “rest.”

At first I felt a little frustrated with all the resting that was happening. It is the nice thing about traveling alone: when you want to keep going, you can keep going. Back in the hotel room, I took a shower and decided to use the time to start researching a trip to Hong Kong. But within a few minutes of laying in my bed, I fell fast asleep…and thoroughly enjoyed my “rest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment