Monday, June 23, 2014

Adventures on Huangshan

As soon as I started down the trail, everything looked different. The branches were lower across the trail and the air became humid and muggy. As I turned a corner, the granite trail disappeared and I was walking across a rock face with a castle-like, cobblestone wall to guard against the drop off.

The rain wasn’t bad enough to keep my rain jacket off, so I stepped off the trail and pulled it off. Wadding up and sticking it between my pack and my back, I kept hiking. It seemed odd to me that if this was the way down, there was no one else around…and also no one coming up. I wondered if I was lost, and decided to turn back.
As I did, I saw three teenage boys walking towards me. Showing them my map, I pointed to the Chinese characters next to “Fairy Bridge.”

“You want to go here?” the one boy asked.  I said. I did. “So do we,” he said. Awesome! I decided to follow them.
I nicknamed them (in my head) after the colors of the their jackets. They all were actually a lot older than they looked. Silver was 23, and the other two (Red and Blue) were my age. They were all university students studying in Shanghai for the summer, although I didn’t catch where they lived other than they are not from Shanghai.

We took a lot of pictures as we walked along. Red and Silver both spoke pretty good English, but Blue never really talked. At one point Red attempted to translate some Chinese characters that were painted on a rock for me. Silver interrupted him and corrected him to say that they meant, “the rock that is covered by clouds.”
“He did not mess up the translation because his English is bad,” Silver explained. “He messed it up because his Chinese sucks!”

This part of the hike was a lot more intense than the other portions had been. The trail totally disappeared and we were walking across open and exposed cliff faces. Some of them were curved and easily could have been very slippery if you weren’t paying attention. For the most part, the trail kept leading down, but there was a bit of bit of bouldering that kept it interesting. Segments of granite steps would come and go, but this was turning into more of an adventure by the minute. It seemed like we’d climbed a long way down but apparently there was more to go.
Turning a corner, we ran into a police officer who was guarding a post. Red something to him and then translated that we just had, “500 more meters to go!”

The stairs along the cliffs looked like something out of a castle. They guard rails were royal and intricate in design and stone archways hung over each turn. The stairs also seemed to look more and more grand as we descended.
Eventually, we were able to see the bridge. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, we walked through a cave and over to the outcropping the bridge stood on. It was only about 5 feet long, and arched unnaturally high for a bridge, but it was very pretty, as was the view off in the distance.

As we were taking photos, another group came down the Cliffside to the bridge. There were two Asian kids and a Caucasian man who looked to be about 30. I’ve noticed that white people make really lingering eye contact when we see one another here. In Shanghai, you see a couple white people every day, but even there they look really out of place.
This particular white guy looked a bit clumsy. He was carrying all of his gear in an over the shoulder satchel. His shoes were more dress shoes than hiking boots, and rather than wearing a pancho, he was attempting to carry an umbrella with one hand while lowering himself down the cliff.

And the rain was certainly picking up. I decided to put my camera away and get my rain jacket back on. Silver helped me pull it over my pack, while Red and I helped him wiggle into his. I pointed the way down the mountain and started walking.
Red stopped me and told me I was going the wrong way. I pulled out my map and pointed that we had to keep going to get to the cable car. The other two Asians came over and all of them started talking in Chinese. As they pointed at my map and gesticulated, I suddenly started to realize something…I had read the map wrong. The label for “Fairy Bridge” was between two dots; one was on the trial down, and one was 2km off the trail. I had assumed the label was for the one on the trail, but I could see now from their pointing…I was 2km off course.

“They are going to the cable car too,” Silver said. “You should go with them.”
I thanked them and we parted company. Red, Silver, and Blue headed off up one trail, while the Asians, the white guy, and I climbed back up the cliffs to get back to the main trail down.

I would have felt like an idiot for screwing up, but the storm was getting bad quickly, and I needed to focus on climbing back up. It wasn’t technical climbing by any means, but the rocks and boulders were slick with the pelting rain. Coupled with the mist that was rolling in and the blowing rain drops, the visibility was becoming awful. It was almost like a sideways monsoon, or something out of a disaster/end-of-the-world movie. It was a little scary, but I also found myself laughing at how awesome and unreal it was. There was never a moment when I thought I would die, but as the rocks got slipperier and the visibility got worse, broken bones didn’t seem out of the question.
Injuries seemed especially likely for the white guy, who was still attempting to use his flimsy umbrella in the gale force wind. It was practically bent apart already, but he continued to raise it above his head while balancing with just one hand. He kind of looked like a few of the Asian kids I’d seen on the hike up. When Elder had told them about me being an American, they would take this “Statue of Liberty” pose in their photos and ask me if I knew what they were.

Eventually, we were back up under the cover of the jungle like trees. It was still raining, pretty hard, but there was enough shelter from the wind to keep us out of the worst of it. As the white guy stowed his umbrella, he asked me in a heavy accent, “So where are you from?”
“The US,” I said. “And you?” His accent had given him away, but I asked to be polite.

“Germany,” he said.
“I could tell,” I said.

“Do I sound German?” He asked.
“You do,” I said. “Do you I sound American?”

“I suppose so,” he said. “Although you do not quite act American?”
As we walked along sharing stories, he really was pretty fascinating. He grew up outside of Dresden on the border with the Czech Republic. After High School, he took a few years off to travel and went around South East Asia and South America. He was fluent in Spanish after dating a girl for several months in Paraguay. When he returned to Germany, he went to school and got his degree in Electrical Engineering. Now, he works for a hydraulics company, building equipment for testing automobiles.

Currently—and this is the interesting part—he was in Shanghai on a business trip to install a hydraulic rig at a car factory. The rig had been shipped over a month ago, but when he arrived in Shanghai to install it, he found that it had not yet been cleared by the customs office. This was because the customs office had not received their handling fee yet.
“We do not have these customs fees in Germany?” He said.

I smirked, thinking back to my business ethics class. “I don’t think those kind of feels are very popular in the Western world.”
In the process of trying to get his company to authorize the payment, he has been stuck in China. He had made a few observations though from working with this Chinese company.

“Chinese people do not tell you when they don’t understand something,” he said. “I give them directions on how a piece of equipment works and they tell me ‘oh yes, oh yes, we can do it!’ but then I come back and it isn’t done. So I explain it two or three more times and they never ask questions, they just don’t do it.”
I thought back to what Helen had told me about the concept of “face.” I could totally see this fitting in!

“They also only know one way of doing things,” he continued. “Like this form that has to be signed to send with the payment. We had to mail it to an office, which takes 2 days, and then it takes 3 days to process, and 2 days to send it back to us. I asked if I could just take it there in a taxi and make an appointment to get it signed and they looked at me like I was crazy.”
It was actually really interesting talking to him. Even if these observations were just his opinion, they did reveal some of the difficulties that come when cultures try to do business together.

No comments:

Post a Comment