Wednesday, July 16, 2014

NIghts in Hong Kong

I decided instead of taking the subway to find the temple, I’d take one more ferry ride over and walk from there. Before I did, I spotted another Café De Coral and jumped inside for some barbeque pork for lunch.
The ferry ride over to the Wan Chai district was great, but when I got there, it was way too hot to walk around. I felt a bit pathetic since it was only 4:00, but I went back to the hostel to get out of the heat. I showered and then journal for a bit and taking a brief nap, My Chinese roommate has left and been replaced by a German girl who is battling the flu (here’s hoping my immune system can hold up another day or two) who shared stories about working in Australia for the past year.

For dinner, around 6:30, I decided to go back to Luk Lu Tea House for one last meal. I caught the metro back to the city center. I had a better idea of how to find it this time but I still wandered around for about 20 minutes.

As I was making my way through one particularly dark alley, I was reminded of something my co-workers told me before I left. I think it was Vivi who said, “You are so brave to go do this by yourself.”

At the time, I shrugged it off. Not like this travel stuff is hard, right? But in that ally, I pieced together…I’ve spent the last three days in two countries I knew nothing about, where I can’t speak a word of the native language, and got lost more times than I can count, all the while walking through shady neighborhoods I didn’t blend into…I actually am kind of brave…which is never an adjective I’ve thought of to describe myself.
But I guess the thing about it is, doing all of this did scare me, but at the same time, I knew I could do it. Even when I was lost at Macau (or stranded at the air port)  I knew something good would happen. Maybe bravery is just optimism in disguise.

I found the restaurant and this time had a dish with chicken, nuts, and peppers. It was so unbelievably flavorful, and so rich I couldn’t finish it (which means it must be really traditional since that seems to be my pattern with Chinese food.)
Afterwards, I decided to go to a restaurant that my Dad’s business partner Bill suggested. They had a bar with a view that was renowned as the best night view of the city lights. It was close by and I was surprised at how easily I found it. It was actually right by the tram terminus.

As I got in the elevator to go up to the bar, I noticed how the people around me were dressed. They all looked like they had just stepped out of a formal wear catalogue. I on the other hand looked homeless. My shirt had more sweat stains than I can count, my shorts had barbecue sauce on them, my sandals are falling apart, my face, legs, and arms are covered in dirt/sweat mixture, and my hair is so curly in this humidity that a small bird could probably use it for a nest.
Well this could be embarrassing  I thought.

Sure enough, as I walked into the bar—completely ready to order a Mirinda Orange Soda, despite now being 21—I saw a waitress walking towards me. Before I uttered a single word to the bar tender, she tapped my shoulder.
“Excuse me sir,” she said. “I am sorry but your clothes are not nice enough for our restaurant. I need to ask you to leave.”

Well thanks for putting it lightly, I thought.
“Can I go outside and take a picture?” I asked, pointing to the terrace.

“I am sorry, no,” she said. “Maybe next time.”
I sighed…this was just kind of the way Hong Kong has gone for me. “That’s okay,” I said. “I understand.”

In the elevator, I did have to laugh. In the time I’ve spent traveling, I’ve always tried so hard to look like I don’t have any money and that I am not worth bothering. I guess in the process, I’ve gotten it down to a science. And while I certainly understand having a dress code, I never thought anyone would be so blunt about it.
But it worked out in the end. I got back to my hostel and had a nice chat with my room mate.  I came to understand that the guy from India is starting an Internship in Hong Kong. He lived her for three years, then spent the past year in London, and is now back for six months.

“I think Hong Kong is easier to live in than Shanghai, but it is much harder to be a tourist here,” I said. “The metro system is incredible and the city is laid out well, but all of the historical stuff is too spread out and hidden to see in just a few days.”
“Yes,” he agreed. “It is a nice place to live but it would not be so nice to travel. I think the main land is better for travel.”

Based on my experience, I agreed.
“Is English your native language?” I asked

“Yes,” he said. “All of India speaks English. We were on of Britain’s colonies you know?”
“Right,” I said. “So were we.”

He laughed.
You know, I’m really glad I came to Hong Kong. It is an exciting city and the whole week has felt like an adventure. In reality, I think I booked it for an awkward length of time. I think two full days would have been enough (skip Macau) or perhaps even a day and a half…or…I should have stayed longer and tried to do more local stuff. The culture is certainly different than that of Shanghai—or really any of the cities I’ve seen in China. There is a nice blend of East and West, and it would be interesting to see more.

But for now, I’m excited to go “home” for a few hours back to Shanghai. My flight is tomorrow afternoon, and even though I won’t even be on the ground for a full 12 hours, it will be a nice change to be back in the city I know.
And now…I know what I’ll do differently for Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment