Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pandas

I had to wake up at 6:00 today to go to the Panda sanctuary. The staff of the hostel kept telling me I wasn’t going to like it, but I wanted to go (especially since I don’t have time to go to Chengdu.) They even cut pictures of pandas out of magazines and gave them to me so I didn’t feel like I needed to go. But, when in China…I wanted to try and see the Pandas.

A driver met me at the front desk at 6:30 where I checked my bags for the day. The drive was about an hour, and once again, the further we got from Xi’an the smoggier it got. I didn’t even realize we were driving along the foothills until the car started to climb. Once again, we had to stop for gas, and again, all passengers had to get out of the car while it fueled up.
When we got to the sanctuary, the driver walked me to the entrance and then said in broken English that he’d meet me at the car when I was done.

For being an animal sanctuary, it looked a lot like a zoo. I walked around “Panda Garden” for a while but didn’t see anything. I passed a Chinese tour guide who said that he’d seen two pandas. I did eventually find one. For being a bit white bear, it really blended into the shadows pretty well. It woke up briefly, ate a branch, and then went back to sleep. I took a few more laps, but for the longest time, it was the only one I saw.
I did run into an American family. The elderly lady was very thrilled to introduce me to her grandsons TJ, Alden, and Marshall. TJ taught English in Beijing while Alden and Marshall were in their fourth year of studying engineering in the states. They were all well traveled, and Grandma had taken them each on a big trip at some point.

They turned out to be my ticket to more Panda action. Their guide (who at first I thought was a volunteer at the sanctuary) used bamboo rods to lure a Panda out of the back. He came right up to the fence and took the bamboo from TJ. Making little squeaking noises as he ate, he ripped the leaves from the bamboo, wrapped them up, and chewed them in a little roll.
“His name is Ono,” the guide explained. Ono clearly knew his name and would look at you when called. For about 30 minutes, we stood around talking to him and feeding him—which I’m sure the sanctuary would be thrilled about if they’d found out. When he stood to reach up and take a branch, he was easily six or seven feet tall. His face was so sweet, and the squeaking noises he made while eating were just hilarious.

At one point, a large beetle walked by Ono. He picked it up and ate in one bite.
Eventually, we heard one of the sanctuary volunteers calling him and he got up and went back inside the building. I followed the American family and their guide as he showed us some of the other animals in the sanctuary including tuxin (which looked like yellow yaks), Asian black bears with their golden brown manes, leopards, a little creature that looked like a deer the size of a dachshund, golden emperor monkeys (including a baby), red pandas, and a phoenix (which we learned is what the Chinese call peacocks.)

Again, if it was an animal sanctuary it had to be one of the most unethical animal sanctuaries. There were stories throughout the park about how many of the animals had been found on the verge of death and nursed back to health here. The pandas appears to be pretty well cared for, but the other animals all looked pretty malnourished and were kept in concrete pins around the “sanctuary.” There are definitely zoos that have better animal treatment practices than this place.
As we walked we talked about the adventures of travel. We came to the conclusion that part of the fun of traveling is that you stop caring about so many things like privacy or physical appearance. Alden and Marshall haven’t shaved in the time they’ve been backpacking around, and they shared embarrassing stories about using squat toilets in public places that turned out to be more adventure than they bargained for. I told them about my adventures on public transport to and from Huangshan, as well as getting thrown out of the restaurant in Hong Kong. We actually swapped the stories the entire time we were walking and it only reconfirmed for me how much fun travelling is.

When we reached the exit, we exchanged WeChat information and said we’d add each other once we get to reliable internet. As we shook hands Marshall said, “Way to survive with style these past weeks.”
As I rode back to Xi’an, I thought a lot about that phrase. “Survive with style.” I thought about what I’ve done this summer. I boarded a plane and flew to a communist country that American tourists have really only gained access to in the past 20 years. I lived in the most populated city for 7 weeks. I worked in a position unlike any I’ve had before and learned and incredibly useful marketing skillset I plan to pursue when I get back to the states. I learned nearly flawless mandarin pronunciation. I gave a tour of Shanghai to my ex-pat friends. I navigated a train to Suzhou where I bought a suit in the silk capital of the world. I climbed Huangshan by myself to see the legendary sunrise on the mountain of mists. I went clubbing in a remote town with Chinese people that treated me like a celebrity. I went to Japan and studied Buddhism for a week. I walked across the world’s highest observation deck. I got stranded in Hong Kong. I got lost in Macau. I biked around Beijing. I took a motorcycle sidecar to the Great Wall of China. I’ve dove into the culture of three incredible dynasties in Xi’an. I’ve made some incredible friends. I’ve eaten both amazing food and terrifying food (I’ve been going back in my head and I think I broke down and ate western food for just six meals the past ten weeks.) I’ve navigated public transportation without a word of Chinese. I’ve survived 110* heat and battled a rattling cough from the pollution. I’ve prayed in temples, shrines, pagodas, and mosques. I’ve come to understand an amazing culture unlike anything I’ve experienced before. I’ve discovered China…and I survived with style.

Not to brag, but it is all pretty awesome when I think about it. As I think about graduating college next year (in just 286 days!) I also think back to my High School graduation party. I remember talking with my cousins about what I was going to do in college. If you told me I was going to do any of this—Europe or China—I would have thought you were on drugs. This is not at all the life I thought I’d be living, but it is exhilarating.
Before Arafat left the other day he made the comment to me, “When you get back to America you will miss this place.”

I laughed when he said it and replied, “Oh I hope not! I already miss Europe, I can’t miss Asia too.”
But I know he’s right. I think the thing about extended travel like this is that you develop a new life. The homesickness we feel when we travel is a longing for the familiarity of our life back home. When we get home, we have a longing for the familiarity of the life we created abroad. Just as I miss things about living in America, I also miss things about living in Prague. I’m sure when I get home, I’ll miss things about living in China too. The trick is how to be both “American lifestyle Zach” and “European lifestyle Zach” and now “Chinese lifestyle Zach.”

When I think about my time in Europe, I feel like I conquered a lot of fear while I was abroad. Here, I don’t feel like I conquered fear so much as I had to really confront some of my personal beliefs and thoughts about life and the world. History and religion are so “unimportant” in China (I put that in quotes because it is not non-existent, but compared to the US or Europe, both are much more downplayed here) but at the same time relationships and reputations are so much more important here.
There are also so many similarities between the American psyche and the Chinese psyche that it is funny to see how similar thought processed play out differently. For example, the average American (not every American of course, but a percentage of the population) seems to be under the impression that America is the greatest place to live and they assume other people want to live in America. In China, so many Chinese people are under the impression that when you visit China, it is your intent to move to China, because that is what most of the world wants to do. The nationalism and poltical ideology between US and China are not that different really. The execution definitely is, but the motivations are very similar.

Over the next 4 days I have left in China, I hope to do some sorting and figure out what it all means. I do feel like I’ve been away from the US for a long time. Even though it is about 6 weeks shorter than the time I spent in Europe, I feel like it has been even more life changing than Europe. Ireally have some concrete ideas about what I want to do next (and as a teaser, one idea involves 12 days at Machu Pichu…maybe there will be more on this later) which really is a very satisfying feeling going into my senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment