Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tour of Hong Kong

[The evening after I got back from Macau I had dinner with my friend Leo. Leo and I met when we were both studying abroad in Prague. After dinner with Leo, I went back to my hostel and typed up stories from my adventure in Macau. I was pretty tired and never typed a formal blog post about touring Hong Kong with Leo, but he did teach me some interesting stuff so I thought I’d share re-create a few things I remember here.]

The first thing Leo shared with me was that the “Central” station on the Subway marked the historic town center but not the current town center. Most of the local people consider the “Mong Kok” station to be the actual center and that is where most of the cheap local restaurants are located. A lot of the truly local restaurants are just kitchens with the seating located outside.
We actually had dinner that night in the Night Market. Leo ordered two dishes, one was beef and noodles and the other was eggplant stir fry. Both came in hot skillets, which Leo explained was very traditional for Hong Kong.

“So do people from Hong Kong consider themselves Chinese or not?” I asked.
He thought for a little bit. “I think it depends on the person. Hong Kong will be absorbed in to China in 2047. Most young people are okay with that, but some older people are not. That is why they picked a date that was over a generation away.”

“So what are people from Hong Kong called then?” I asked. “Like I’m an American, people in China are Chinese…”
“Hong Kongers,” Leo explained.

We walked around the Mong Kok district. One of the cultural things Leo pointed out to me were the number of neon billboards hanging over the street. They were everywhere and stuck out form nearly every building. There were also pop-up banner signs on street corners and people waving signs on the curbs to call people in.
The billboards that were most interesting were the ones that featured these stylish looking people in suits. They almost looked like advertisements for American Idol or some other celebrity TV show. Leo explained that they are actually ads for tutoring services. If you can make it as a tutor in Hong Kong, you are seen as a local celebrity and considered the upper echelon of society.

There are also these movie ticket vending machines. They are kind of like the kiosks that most American theaters now feature for movie tickets, but they are all over town and can be used to purchase tickets for any of the theaters in Hong Kong.
As a historical treat, I got to see Hong Kong’s first ice cream man. He drives a truck around town selling vanilla soft serve out a window, as he has for over 50 years. Leo bought me a cone of ice cream, and it did taste really good.

“What do typical teenagers do in the US?” Leo asked.
“What do you mean by teenager?” I clarified.

“Like university students? What do they do on a Friday night?”
“I think it depends,” I said. “I mean a lot of people get together with their friends. They might have dinner or go to the movies or hang out at a restaurant or bar.” I never was a good “teenager” so I’m not sure I’m the most qualified person to ask.

“Is very different than what we do in Hong Kong,” Leo said. “We start with dinner with friends. Then you cannot stay at that restaurant all night, so you will move to another restaurant maybe for some dessert. After that, you might go to the cinema. After that, you would hang out with your friends at someone’s house. The key thing for Hong Kong people is that you need to have time with your friends. The conversations and sharing about your lives are what are important.”
Honestly, that sounds like the way I spend most Friday nights.

Now there were a few odd things I observed walking around the Mong Kok area. For one, prostitution is very illegal in both China and Hong Kong, but Leo pointed out that the brothels that do exist are not exactly subtle. Women hanging out in alleys between sketchy dark buildings are pretty much the giveaway. Also a lot of private practice doctors have offices on the street level around Mong Kok. They have neon signs with their names in both Chinese and English. I noticed none of the English names had an “MD” after them.
After walking around for a few hours, Leo and I said goodbye. It was nice having a private “tour guide” and great to catch up with an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment